Monday, November 3, 2014

Make Your Own Laundry Detergent

Make your own Laundry Detergent

I never really thought about cleaning products as something you could make yourself. I just thought everyone went to the store and purchased the one that smelled the prettiest. I couldn't imagine what would go into a laundry soap, or why on earth I would want to make it myself. I was inspired by the lovely Amie White  and how she cares for her 4 boys and makes their laundry soap. Well now, if it works for  her busy brood, it would surely work on my small, one load a day laundry situation. 

 I checked around on Pinterest and found this recipe from Jen, of the How Does She fame. 

I changed a few things, I used a left over BJ's candy bucket to hold it all, and I changed the bar soap to Ivory, since I couldn't find Zote. I also use the Purex Tropical, since I love my clothes to smell awesome. Grating the Ivory is a pain, so I watched a cute show on Netflix and was finished 2 bars in the half hour.



BONUS- the living room smelled spiffy when I vacuumed the flecks up off the floor. Yes, this is a time investment, and yes it has paid off!

It's now been 4 months since we began using my homemade soap, and it's been awesome. I have a front loading washer, and I use 2 tablespoons of powder in with the clothes. The stain fighting is phenomenal! Not to mention the price- it cost me around $23 for a 10 month supply! 

I will definitely be making this again when we run out. I thought about packaging it pretty to give away at Christmas, but that might be weird. What is the message behind fabulous cleaning and smelling laundry soap? 

No comments: